Art Docent Program Objectives and Goals
Volunteers are an important and consistent part of the elementary arts education program. Volunteer docents are trained to introduce and familiarize elementary students with great artists and art masterpieces through the use of images of artwork, lesson plans, videos, lively discussions and activities that reinforce the subject matter and style of the art pieces which can all be found on the Art Docent website. Docents guide students to feel comfortable with and enjoy many styles of art. We accomplish all of this by having FUN together.
No two interpretations or dialogues of a shared experience by children are the same. Students soon learn that their creative ideas are valued and that there are no "right" or "wrong" answers. Everyone appreciates art for different reasons.
- To arouse interest and curiosity in students.
- To expand students’ vocabulary and strengthen observation skills.
- To familiarize elementary school children at an early age with artists in history.
- To use volunteer docents from the community as facilitators.
- To provide a resource for teachers.
- To provide cross-curriculum tie-ins of teacher and Art Docent lessons where possible.
- To emphasize that art lessons are a springboard for creative exploration rather than being limited to information gathering.
- To establish the legitimacy of art appreciation as a critical part of the basic curriculum.