A Read-a-Thon is like a Jog-a-Thon, exceptyour child will be reading books instead of running laps, and through pledges from family and friends, will be earning money for Millridge based on how much they read. Everything is tracked online,which makes inviting sponsors and logging minutes read extremely simple!
What are we raising money for? Through this event, Millridge PTG is hoping to raise enough funds to participate this spring in the One School, One Book® program. One School, One Book® is an exciting school & community-wide literacy program that encourages and enables reading together at home by providing every family with the program book to read at home. In addition, this program promotes school and community interaction by providing the school with tools, resources, guidance, and support for fun and exciting activities, such as a community-wide scavenger hunt. To find out more about the One School, One Book® literacy program go to http://readtothem.org/programs/one-school-one-book.
· Students Read Books: Students read whatever they're interested in during the Read-A-Thon: Biographies, picture books, fairytales, etc. Students who are not able to read on their own can count time when another person reads to them.
·Log Activity Online: Students keep track of everything they read during the fundraiser on their secure and fun online reading profile – app.whooosreading.org/login. This site works best if you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox or Safari. Students will not only be able to log their time but complete activities about books they read and also create their own “Owlvitar”, which can even win them prizes. See below for more details.
· Families Invite Sponsors: Students, with the help oftheir parents, reach out to family and friends through phone calls, email and Facebook messages asking them to sponsor the students in the fundraiser.
· Millridge Elementary Keeps over 75%: Sponsors can donate online or with cash or check. Our fundraising partner, Whooo’sReading (www.whooosereading.org), collects all pledges through a third party, and Milridge keeps over 75% of all donations.
· Login and activate your account by October 2nd and get to help duct tape Mr. Caroff or Mr. Bradic to the cafeteria wall on October 3rd.
· Raise $15, and you will earn a pencil and a ticket into the weekly $15 raffle prize
· Raise $50, and you will earn a $5 gift card to Half Price Books and a ticket into the $50 weekly raffle prize
· Raise $100, and you will earn a special pizza lunch (date to be determined) and a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of two Kindle Fire HD 8s
One PreK-2nd and one 3rd-5th class that raises the most money will each win an Ice Cream Party! Top Prize for most money raised: Pick your prize: Challenge Mr. Caroff at Wii/Xbox for 30 minutes afterschool or have breakfast or lunch with Mr. Caroff or Mr. Bradic!
If we meet our school goal to raise $10,000 and/or we get 75% school participation, the whole school wins a Popsicle Party!!!
Sponsored by Millridge PTG * winners will be announced by 10/18
Read-a-Thon Parent Letter