Site: Beachwood High School
COLLEGE CREDITS - Tech Prep/CT2
Two year program: grades 11-12
The T.E.A.C.H. (Teacher Education and Children’s Health) program prepares students to fill a vital role in the education and health of children. High school students receive the opportunity to teach and care for children in many different learning environments. The first year of the program stresses basic skills needed to work with children and the students are provided with the opportunity to actively be engaged with children at our laboratory schools. In the second year, the students expand their experiences with opportunities to intern with children birth through school-age and other childhood professionals. Again, the students assume a different role in the classroom and gain knowledge and experience working with children. In related class, the students are involved in learning activities requiring higher order thinking skills where they create and implement many learning opportunities for children. Students also have the option to complete the Child Development Associate process with the guidance and support from their instructor as well as earn credits toward a degree in any career field related to Child Development.
- Education: BS from Mercyhurst College in Family and Consumer Sciences Education; Kent State University – Career and Technical, Education and care; Master’s Degree-Cleveland State University in Educational Research.
- Work Experience: Early Childhood Education Excel TECC (12 yrs); Middle School Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher for the Millcreek Township School District in Erie, PA. (1 yr) Career Pathways to Teaching Instructor for Lakewood City Schools. (2 yrs).
- Hobbies: Raising my children (10, 8 and 5 yrs old), baking, reading, sewing and watching sporting events.
- Education: Bowling Green State University-Bachelor's Degree, Elementary Education, Kindergarten-Eighth grade; Cleveland State University- Master's Degree, Early Childhood Education: Curriculum and Instruction; Kent State University-Career Technical, Education and Care; Ohio University- Reading Endorsement (PK-12).
- Work Experience: Excel TECC Early Childhood Education Teacher (13 yrs), Kindergarten Teacher (7 yrs), Preschool Administrator (4.5 yrs), Business Owner of Child Enrichment Center (1.5 yrs), Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Early Childhood Education Licensing Specialist (2 yrs);
- Professional Memberships: National Association for Education of Young Children (NAEYC) member.
- Hobbies: Baking, reading, shopping.