Site: Chagrin Falls High School
COLLEGE CREDITS - Tech Prep
Two-year program: grades 11-12
The Academy for the Performing Arts provides talented high school juniors and seniors with a joyful, challenging and inspiring training experience in the theatre; an educational and performance-based experience that builds confidence, courage and mastery in creative self expression preparing students for high-level college and professional opportunities.
The Academy offers two-tracks of training:
Performance Track - For actors, directors, singers, dancers, choreographers and playwrights
Technical Track - For set, costume, lighting and sound designers. For technical directors, stage managers, and all backstage skills required in the professional theatre.
The goals of the program are:
- To provide a comprehensive, pre-professional course of study in all aspects theatre, from literature, technique and history to actual performance. The course of study allows the students to focus their interest in acting and performance, music and voice, and technical theatre;
- To create challenging performance and technical theatre opportunities for students to demonstrate acquired skills in the Chagrin Falls state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center. The Academy mounts 8 full length productions each year including many styles - from classical, restoration, modern European theatre, American theatre and Musical Theatre;
- To provide professional, visionary leadership by prominent performing arts educators and professionals with strong ties to the regional theatre, university system, and other professional performing arts venues;
- Prepare students for post secondary education in the performing arts and related subjects; assisting with audition, contact, interview support and professional guidance in selecting educational and career opportunities.
An audition/portfolio and interview is required for admittance
PERFORMANCE TRACK: AUDITION REQUIRED - Will consist of two contrasting monologues or one monologue and one song. Admission to the Academy is by AUDITION ONLY.
TECHNICAL TRACK: Those interested in the tech track will need a PORTFOLIO of past artistic work.
To apply, you need to:
-Sign up for ExcelTECC on line at Enrolltrack;
-Sign up with your guidance counselor to attend Interview Week (audition/portfolio), which is in January of your Sophomore year;
-Guidelines and resources for auditions can be found at www.chagrinacademy.org
NOTE: All Auditions require ONE 1 Minute Monologue from a play - and ONE 1 Minute Song from the Musical Theatre genre. (If you don’t sing, you may substitute a song with another monologue.)
NOTE: ALL ACADEMY STUDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE IN THEIR HOME SCHOOLS’ PRODUCTIONS IF DESIRED.
- Education: Master of Education, Kent State University; BFA Southern Methodist University - in professional theatre Graduate, Interlochen Arts Academy; Foundation for the Extension and Development of American Professional Theatre-Marketing and Advertising the Arts; Kent State University-Professional Services-Career and Technical Teacher Education.
- Work Experience: Artistic Director, Center Repertory Theatre; Artistic Director, Phoenix Theatre Ensemble; Executive/Artistic Director Cleveland Theatre Company; Company Member (actor, director) The Cleveland Play House; Artistic Director Cain Park Summer Theatre; Member, Actor’s Equity Association; Executive Director, Fairmount Center for the Arts; Director, Director of Creative Services Case Western Reserve University; Director of Web Development John Carroll University; Chagrin Falls Performing Arts Academy.
- Awards: Best Professional Production, The Three Sisters, Cleveland’s Critic Circle; Awards of Distinction in the Arts, Runner Up - Hamlet; Best Actor - Man of LaMancha, Fiddler on the Roof, Tartuffe, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, The Times Newspapers.
- Hobbies: Grandfather of 4; Tom and his wife Kathy also raise geese, ducks and swans; amateur woodworking; web designer; and novelist, who has been working on a book for the past 23 years to no avail; last but not least, avid fresh water fisherman whenever a lake is on the horizon.
Ms. Yesenia Real
• Education: Case Western Reserve-BA/Theatre and Psychology.
• Work Experience: Performing Arts Academy - Instructor; Ernst & Young (Executive Assistant-4 yrs); Dobama Theater (Stage Management and Prop Design-6 yrs).
• Hobbies: Soap making, Dungeons & Dragons, computer games, reading, crochet.
Mr. Dan Hendrock
• Education: CPH/CWRU Acting Program-Master Fine Arts, Kent State University-Bachelor Fine
Arts/Musical Theatre, Michael Chekhov Consortium-Michael Chekhov Technique Certification.
• Work Experience: Assistant Director of Acting and Curriculum at The Chagrin Falls Performing
Arts Academy, Head of Acting at Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute for six years, Head of
Upper School Theatre at Hathaway Brown School, Performing credits include television, film,
commercial appearances, regional theatres, national tours and Off-Broadway.
• Professional Membership: Actor’s Equity Association.
• Hobbies: Hanging out with my dog Dottie, crocheting, and reading young adult fantasy novels!