SOLIDWORKS Tutorials: Getting Started
Introduction to SOLIDWORKS
The Introduction to SOLIDWORKS lesson guides you through the creation of a part and a drawing.
- Creating base, boss, and cut features from sketches
- Adding fillets to smooth edges
- Creating a circular pattern
- Adding drawing views
- Adding centerlines, center marks, and dimensions to the drawing
Lesson 1 - Parts
In this lesson, you create your first SOLIDWORKS part.
- Setting up a new part document
- Creating the base feature
- Adding a boss feature
- Creating a cut feature
- Adding fillets
- Adding a shell feature
- Editing features
- Completed Part
Lesson 2 - Assemblies
In this lesson, you build a simple assembly based on the part you created in Lesson 1.
Adding parts to an assembly
- Moving and rotating components in an assembly
- Creating display states in an assembly
Lesson 3 - Drawings
In this lesson, you create a multi-sheet drawing of the parts and assembly from Lessons 1 and 2.
- Opening a drawing template and editing a sheet format
- Inserting standard views of a part model
- Adding model and reference annotations
- Adding another drawing sheet
- Inserting a named view
- Printing the drawing
SOLIDWORKS Tutorials: Basic Techniques
In this lesson, you modify the knob part by:
- Adding different fillet types:
- Constant radius
- Variable radius
- Using mirroring to assure symmetry
- Applying a library feature
Revolve and Sweep Features
In this lesson, you create the candlestick holder.
- Creating a revolve feature
- Creating a sweep feature
- Creating an extruded cut feature with a draft angle
In this lesson, you learn how to create a linear pattern and a circular pattern.
- Creating an oblong cut
- Creating a linear pattern
- Creating a circular pattern
- Using an equation to drive the circular pattern
In this lesson, you create a hammer head using loft features.
- Creating planes
- Sketching, copying, and pasting the profiles
- Creating a solid by connecting the profiles (lofting)
- Adding a flex feature to bend the model
In this lesson, you start with an existing sketch composed of lines, arcs, splines, and sketch points. Then you apply the following surface features to create a nozzle:
In this lesson, you create the sheet metal part.
- Creating a base flange
- Adding a miter flange
- Mirroring the part and creating new bends
- Adding an edge flange and editing its sketch profile
- Mirroring a feature
- Adding and bending a tab
- Adding a cut across a bend
- Folding and unfolding bends
- Creating a closed corner
- Creating a sheet metal drawing
- Adding bend line notes
Forming Tools Tutorial
In this tutorial, you learn the following:
- Add a formed louver part to the design library.
- Add a formed louver to a sheet metal part.
- Select a configuration for the formed louver.
- Replace the formed louver with a formed extruded hole.
- Link the formed extruded hole to the sheet metal part to preserve forming tool updates.
- Set the appearance of placement sketches in flat patterns.
- Assign punch IDs for use in punch tables.
In the Weldment Parts lesson, you create the weldment. The weldment includes:
- Structural members
- Cut list (before update)
- Trim and extend features
- End caps
- Weld beads
- In the Weldment Drawings lesson, you create a drawing for the weldment. The drawing includes:
- Cut list (after update)
- Custom properties
- View of an individual body of the weldment part
In this lesson you use a design table to create several variations of a part.
- Renaming features and dimensions
- Displaying feature dimensions
- Defining and verifying geometric relations
- Creating a design table
- Displaying part configurations
- Editing a design table
In this tutorial, you create a milling machine assembly. You use mates to create geometric relationships between the components of the assembly.
- Bringing parts into an assembly
- Using these assembly mates:
- Using SmartMates
- Testing mates
- Editing mates
Toolbox Basic Lesson
This lesson introduces you to SOLIDWORKS Toolbox and describes the following concepts:
- Adding hardware to an assembly
- Editing hardware in an assembly
Smart Fasteners Lesson
With SOLIDWORKS Smart Fasteners, you can automatically add fasteners to assemblies.
This lesson demonstrates the following:
- Configuring Smart Fasteners
- Adding Smart Fasteners
- Editing Smart Fasteners
Appearances and Decals
In this lesson, you learn how to work with appearances and decals.
- Use the DisplayManager
- Add appearances to a parts
- Add appearances to features
- Edit appearances
- Apply a decal
In this lesson, you learn to work with cameras, scenes, and lighting in PhotoView 360.
- Using a camera view
- Adding appearances to components
- Changing and editing scenes and lighting
- Saving a final render
This lesson guides you through the import of a gasket and company logo, and demonstrates the following:
- Importing an IGES file
- Inserting a DXF file
- Exporting a SOLIDWORKS part document as an STL file
Diagnosing and Repairing Import Errors
This lesson guides you through diagnosing and repairing common import errors using these tools:
- Import Diagnostics to heal gaps and bad faces
- Features to fill in gaps