Site: Beachwood High School
COLLEGE CREDITS - Tech Prep/CT2
Two-year program: grades 11-12
The Culinary Arts I program offers on-site training in our public restaurant, the Beachwood Bistro, to high school juniors showing interest and aptitude for the food service industry. Using the nationally recognized ProStart curriculum, students develop basic skills in food preparation, service and sanitation. Culinary I focuses on ServeSafe Training and Certification. This certification program is an industry standard.
The Culinary Arts II ProStart curriculum is endorsed by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation and provides each student earning a certificate of achievement with articulated college credit. ProStart teaches culinary mathematics, restaurant business management and marketing techniques. Topics such as: employability skills, menu planning & design, cost extension/markup, restaurant design and equipment analysis are addressed. The internship component allows the students to work in the food industry for 12.5 hours per week to receive credit and earnings. Students must provide their own transportation.
- Education: Kent State University - Bachelor's in Business Management/Human Resources; Cleveland State University: Middle Childhood (4-9) teaching license in Math, Language Arts & Reading; Walden University: Master's in Education (Literacy & Math); University of Akron: Bachelor's in Family & Consumer Sciences and Career Technical (4-12) teaching license.
- Work Experience: TEACHING: Excel TECC Culinary Arts II teacher; Georgia Military College, Adjunct instructor of Math, Reading, ELA & Intro to Education (present); Garfield Heights City Schools, ELA/Reading (5 yrs), Math (13 yrs), FCS (1 yr); CORPORATE: Guardsmark Inc., Human Resources Specialist; Park City Solutions, Human Resources Coordinator
- Awards: 2009 Cleveland ACF Culinary Educator of the Year, 2010 NRAEF Certified Secondary Foodservice Educator, 2010 NRAEF Certified Ohio ProStart Instructor 2013 NRAEF Teacher of Distinction.
Hobbies: Spending time with my family, cooking and baking, exercising and enjoying the outdoors -- preferably by a pool on a hot summer day :)
Education: Associates Culinary Arts; Pennsylvania Culinary; Kent State-BA Technical Education; Certified (ServSafe) proctor/instructor.
- Work Experience: Excel TECC Culinary Arts Instructor; Former Executive Chef Mustard Seed Market & Café; Former Assistant Team Leader (Executive Chef) Whole Foods Market. Awards: 2006 SS Kemp Culinary Competition Silver Medalist; 2013 Ohio ProStart Teacher of Distinction.
- Hobbies: Family, exercise, FOOD FOOD FOOD.