Site: Beachwood High School
COLLEGE CREDITS - Tech Prep/CT2
Two-year program: grades 11-12
The Culinary Arts I program offers on-site training in our public restaurant, the Beachwood Bistro, to high school juniors showing interest and aptitude for the food service industry. Using the nationally recognized ProStart curriculum, students develop basic skills in food preparation, service and sanitation. Culinary I focuses on ServeSafe Training and Certification. This certification program is an industry standard.
The Culinary Arts II ProStart curriculum is endorsed by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation and provides each student earning a certificate of achievement with articulated college credit. ProStart teaches culinary mathematics, restaurant business management and marketing techniques. Topics such as: employability skills, menu planning & design, cost extension/markup, restaurant design and equipment analysis are addressed. The internship component allows the students to work in the food industry for 12.5 hours per week to receive credit and earnings. Students must provide their own transportation.
Chef Danette McHale
Education: Masters Ed. Curriculum Development and Instruction; BA-University of Akron-Home Economics 7—12, -BA-Vocational Education Multi-Area with a specialization in Food Management and Production; Certification-Food Safety and Sanitation (ServSafe).
- Work Experience: Corporate dining facility-kitchen supervisor; Culinary Arts Teacher-32 yrs (Beachwood HighSchool-23 yrs).
- Awards: 2009 Cleveland ACF Culinary Educator of the Year, 2010 NRAEF Certified Secondary Foodservice Educator, 2010 NRAEF Certified Ohio ProStart Instructor 2013 NRAEF Teacher of Distinction.
- Hobbies: baking, sewing, gardening
Education: Associates Culinary Arts; Pennsylvania Culinary; Kent State-BA Technical Education; Certified (ServSafe) proctor/instructor.
- Work Experience: Excel TECC Culinary Arts Instructor; Former Executive Chef Mustard Seed Market & Café; Former Assistant Team Leader (Executive Chef) Whole Foods Market. Awards: 2006 SS Kemp Culinary Competition Silver Medalist; 2013 Ohio ProStart Teacher of Distinction.
- Hobbies: Family, exercise, FOOD FOOD FOOD.