Our schools use Ohio English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards to guide instruction for EL students in grades K-12.
The 10 Ohio Department of Education ELP standards are identical for grades K-12. The specific learning outcomes within each standard are different based on grade bands. These 10 ELP standards are listed below:
An English Language Learner can...
- Construct meaning from oral presentations and literary and informational text through grade-appropriate listening, reading, and viewing
- Participate in grade-appropriate oral and written exchanges of information, ideas, and analyses, responding to peer, audience, or reader comments and questions
- Speak and write about grade-appropriate complex literary and informational texts and topics
- Construct grade-appropriate oral and written claims and support them with reasoning and evidence
- Conduct research and evaluate and communicate findings to answer questions or solve problems
- Analyze and critique the arguments of others orally and in writing
- Adapt language choices to purpose, task, and audience when speaking and writing
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases in oral presentations and literary and informational text
- Create clear and coherent grade-appropriate speech and text
- Make accurate use of standard English to communicate in grade-appropriate speech and writing