OUR PATH OF EXCELLENCE
It’s time to celebrate another successful year at Mayfield City Schools. To our students, staff, parents and community - I want to express my sincere appreciation for your support. You are what makes Mayfield one of the most extraordinary places to learn and grow.
The Mayfield tradition of providing all-access, high-quality, academic, athletic, art, career technical, co-curricular, social-emotional services, and extracurricular programs grows stronger each year.
Our district continues to excel, and the results are evident in the top highlights from the 2018-2019 school year:
• We received the highest Composite ACT Scores in Mayfield History: 24.3.
• The College Board has recognized Mayfield as one of the nation’s top AP programs three years running
• 900 AP tests were given last spring and we offer 27 AP courses.
• AASA, the top School Superintendent’s Association in the nation, has recognized Mayfield as a Distinguished Education Technology School District for our implementation and use of technology in the classroom.
• Mayfield High School was rated among the best high schools in the nation by U.S. News.
• The Class of 2019 received over $12 million in scholarships.
• The Ohio Department of Education has named Center School a Hall of Fame School.
• The Ohio Department of Education named Mayfield Middle School as a School to Watch.
• The Project Lead the Way organization has recognized us as a "Distinguished" school district for our students’ work in engineering and biomedicine.
• The Cleveland Clinic Expressions program has recognized our MHS students for their medical research and creative expression through art.
• Lander School was designated an outstanding STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) school by the Ohio Department of Education.
• All students in grades 8-9 take the PSAT. All students in 11th grade take the SAT.
• We have had more National Merit Scholars in the past five years than in any other five-year period in the history of the school district.
• Excel TECC programs received numerous recognitions and students received $10 million in scholarships.
• Mayfield High School has received the Momentum Award from the Ohio Department of Education for closing achievement gaps – two years running.
•Niche.com, a national, independent survey of schools and neighborhoods gave Mayfield an A+ rating.
• Our fiscal stewardship is recognized every year by the state auditor for exemplary fiscal practices and accountability.
• Our facilities are well maintained and improving. Renovated spaces, furniture and technology match our vision for teaching. The collaboration on redesign of all of our facilities has included staff and students. During 2018-19 we have completed:
• New preschool
• Renovated MMS cafeteria/learning spaces and gym
• MHS auditorium upgrades
•Purchased and scheduled renovation of construction trades building
• Created a new store front cosmetology facility at Alpha Park
• Plans to renovate and create collaboration and entrepreneurial space at MMS and MHS
• Future plans to align Miner Road with MHS driveway.
• The technology we have is second to none. The 1:1 device plan has made a huge impact on instruction and learning. The tech staff works very hard to keep us up and running.
• Smart fiscal planning has put us on track to extend our typical levy cycle two years. We are hopeful our projections will hold.
• Our safety systems and response training have also improved. We have School Resource Officers in each school, more security cameras, increased communication with first responders and various emergency trainings during the school year.
• We are also honored and humbled by the support of our community. The Green Tie Gala raised a record $70,000 this year. These dollars support projects like the mobile innovation STEAM Bus, which has been an incredible collaboration of staff, business partners and students. The bus will debut this fall.
We also grateful for the support given by the Wildcat Community Foundation, all of our booster groups, our PTAs and those who volunteer their time in our schools. Our community members are the foundation of our schools and we would not be as successful as we are without your support!
Summer is an important opportunity for all of us to relax and recharge, but it also is a time to plan and prepare for the upcoming school year.
Thanks to the generous support of our taxpayers, we continue to make improvements to our facilities. Renovations to our middle school and high school will continue so our schools match our vision for teaching and learning.
We are committed to providing quality schools while at the same time, being good stewards of our taxpayers’ dollars.
On behalf of our board of education, administrators and staff, we wish you a safe and enjoyable summer. We look forward to seeing students back in class on August 15.